Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Long overdue projects

I have no real news to write about, so I'll just fill everyone in on some projects I've been working on lately in an effort to spur myself on towards finishing them.

Colorado Scrapbook
We took a vacation to Colorado in September of 2006. I started working on the scrapbook shortly after we got home, and continue working on it to this day. I think the main issue with finishing it is that we took about a bazillion pictures, and it's just too hard to cut back on what I want put in the scrapbook, so it's a bit overwhelming. I'm not a really detailed, fancy, elaborate page sort of scrapbooker, I'm a slap everything at right angles to each other, maximize use of the page scrapper. I fill in empty spots with ticket stubs and themed stickers. It's really not that difficult. Yet I've only managed to complete about 60% of this one. I can't start on our latest trip (which I'm planning to do entirely digitally) until I finish this one. I fear we'll have more trips backing up before too long.


Pile-o-Colorado

One of my simple, yet space effective pages

Another maximum use of space page (yes, it's very engineery)

I did manage to crank out our Seattle trip from August 2007 in the middle of doing Colorado, though, so that's a positive. It was all digital, and done in about a week. These are easy.

The cover

My favorite picture from this trip is on the right side

Bedroom Curtains
Shortly after we moved into our new house in October 2004, I purchased fabric to make custom curtains for our master bedroom. We hung up some old curtains on an old, undersized curtain rod for "temporary" privacy. My new fabric sat in a closet for the next 3.5 years. Earlier this year, we went out and bought some coordinating fabric for a stripe across the middle, and some liner fabric for increased darkness. About a month ago, we ordered a curtain rod. We hung the curtain rod in the bedroom, and I finally started working on the new curtains last weekend. Perhaps, by this time next year, they will be proudly showcased in our bedroom. Here's a couple shots of this work in progress:

The new rod hangs above the old rod and curtains
(yes, it's slightly bowed, and yes, it's supposed to be that way right now)


The backside of a new panel in progress

In other curtain tales, I still need to hem some curtains in one of our guest bedrooms so they don't look like this anymore:

What a disaster. I apologize, guests of this bedroom.

That One Disastrous Area of the Yard
This is one part of our landscaping that is just a mess. Unfortunately, it's located directly outside our best guest bedroom window. I don't ever have to look at it, but our guests do. We plan to tear out all the columbines, which seem to migrate to a new location every year, rip out the non-vinca half of the ground cover, and add a spirea and some iris bulbs in their place. We also need to replace all our washed out mulch (this area got the emergency sump runoff a couple of weeks ago). The boxwood, hostas, day-lilies and grass plants can stay. They're orderly. I yearn for orderly.

How in the world did that columbine get behind the boxwood?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The columbine may seem messy but the flowers are so different and intricate they are interesting to look at, especially from that window you get a good up-close look at them. I understand the wish for orderly, maybe another location?? Whatever you choose, the yard is very beautiful.