Sunday, January 27, 2008

Uh oh - I've been tagged...

I have no idea how this started, but it seems harmless enough. I even got to learn something in the process: the definition of "meme". Look it up.

Book meme:

Rules:
1. Pick up the nearest book of at least 123 pages.
2. Turn to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.

Here goes. I'm sitting in my office, surround by at least a couple hundred books on bookshelves. None are actually sitting on my computer desk, as we have recently cleaned the office in preparation to receive houseguests tonight. The nearest bookshelf houses our war/war machine/and aircraft reference books, none of which I care to look through tonight (or any night, for that matter). So, I've made the executive decision to move up one shelf to the wine section. The closest book is "The Sotheby's Wine Encyclopedia" by Tom Stevenson. It consists of 664 pages of tiny print describing the wine estates of the world. Pretty exciting, eh? Jeff's read the entire thing. I just grab it now and then when I want to look something up.

Page 123 falls in the "Bordeaux - The Libournais and Fronsadais - Pomerol" section of the book. Sentences 6-8 are as follows:

"The result is a wine of superstar quality, even in poor years. Petit-Village is matured in wood for 18 months with at least 50 percent of the casks made from new oak. RED: These wines seem to have everything."

They are in reference to Chateau Petit-Village, an estate I've never even heard of, but perhaps should look into, judging by the tasty review above. I have at least heard of the two estates that border it, Vieux Chateau Certan and Chateau La Conseillante, so I don't feel too dumb. The estate that follows this entry, Chateau Petrus, is quite famous, too. Not that I'll ever need to worry about owning any of that.

I'm going to ignore rule number 5, because I'm just not the type to perpetuate memes. If you're just desperate to follow the trail, though, check out my friend's blog: jak-in-the-house. She's the one who got me! She also saved me from starting my next post. It's going to be about how I'm pretty sure I'm totally insane - I just signed up to be one of the wedding coordinators at my church. You'll hear more about that later!

2 comments:

HomeGrownLife said...

I'm glad to see that you participated in Jackie's meme also. Thanks for paying me a "blogger world" visit. I am very intrigued by your interest and knowledge of wine! We are "beginners" and have recently joined a wine tasting group in our area. I will gladly accept any suggestions that you have to send our way (we LOVE reds!).

Jackie said...

thanks for playing. don't worry, i won't do it again. rather interesting though...

i am very intrigued about the wedding coordinating thing. i never would have pegged you as one.