Saturday, May 31, 2008

Entertaining week

We had a rather entertaining week. On Wednesday, we were treated to dinner and a movie by the company. It was one of our summer intern events, and Jeff got invited because he's volunteered to help with another intern event later in the summer. We went downtown to have a pizza dinner at Old Chicago with about 250 other employees, then we all went to see Indiana Jones and the Space Invaders, I mean Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, together. The movie was a bit strange on the plot side, but was still semi-entertaining, and since the entire evening was free, I'm not complaining.

Last night, we went to see the Wichita Grand Opera's production of The Pirates of Penzance. I've been a fan of this show ever since my parents took me to see FHSU's production of it when I was a kid. I liked watching the movie every now and then growing up, too. Jeff had never seen it before, so he wasn't quite sure what to expect. I think he was a little surprised that it was so silly, but he still enjoyed it. They screwed up my favorite song in the show, Modern Major General (orchestra playing too fast for the soloist to keep up), but otherwise, it was pretty good. The cast threw in a few fun twists that were unexpected and really fun, like audience sing-along time, and daughters cheering the police with KU, WSU and KSU pom-poms.

Tonight we are scheduled to meet my grandparents, aunt and uncle, cousins and siblings in Salina for dinner together. My aunt, uncle and cousins from Pennsylvania are here for the weekend to visit my grandparents, and Salina just happens to be about an equal drive for all of us scattered around the state to meet up for dinner. It will be nice to see everyone again.

No comments: