Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

We made the trip up to Hays once again today. This time it was to scatter my mom's ashes. Joella rode up with Jeff and I. My grandparents came over from Manhattan, Mike and Debbie came from Olathe, and Nathan, Daniel, Ken and Rachel, and Jan met us at Frontier Park in Hays. We decided that the park was a little full, so we went over to another area along Big Creek where our family and friends spent time with mom. It was the area where both Joella and I had Girl Scout Day Camp (mom was a troop leader) and where North Oak had their Easter sunrise services. Mom liked walking there with her friends, too. It was peaceful and quiet there today, with no one else around to disturb us (or to get grossed out by us scattering ashes). We reminisced for a little while about mom, recited Psalm 23 (those of us who had it memorized did, anyway) and sang a hymn. We poured the ashes into Big Creek, then Rachel made a little memento of the occasion - a cross fashioned out of twigs she found by the creek and tall grass.

It's hard to believe that it's been almost a year since she passed away. The time has gone by so quickly. We all miss her, each for our own reasons. What I miss most is being able to call her up and let her know when something exciting has happened in our lives. I still tell her about it - maybe God lets her hear, maybe not. Anyway, that's what happened here this weekend. It's not the most fun thing to read/write about, but there it is.

3 comments:

Jackie said...

that's a sad mother's day but i'm glad you got to do that and that so many people shared it with you. it is hard to believe it's been that long.

Charles and Rebecca said...

Not knowing you personally (only friends through Jackie's blog) its hard to express my feelings personally. I lost my father when I was dating Luke's sister and reading your post brought a tear to my eyes. It was nice to read you had friends and family with you to spend a day remembering the good times and cherishing your individual memories. As Christians we are blessed that we can take comfort in the arms of the Lord.

Margie said...

Thanks for sharing, Michelle. I don't know exactly how it is going to happen but at the resurrection her body will be raised to meet Jesus in the air. What a happy day that will be for all of us.