Saturday, August 16, 2008

A hem disaster

I got up this morning with grand plans to knock out one of our master bedroom curtain panels this weekend. Over the last several weekends (prior to the Colorado trip) I'd been diligently spending three or four hours a weekend working on them. I'd sewn the lining, and hemmed the bottom of it, and I'd sewn the curtain panels with their pretty contrasting stripe in the middle, and hemmed the bottom of those, too. Today was going to be the big joining of the linings to the curtain panels day. It was going to go so well that I would definitely have time to get at least one of the joined panel's headers sewn in so we could finally get one of the things hung up in the bedroom, and I'd be all proud and happy of how awesome it looked. Well, it didn't turn out quite like that. When I laid out the liner and the panel together on the floor, I discovered that I'd accidentally hemmed the wrong edge of the liner. I'd done one of the vertical sides, and not the bottom, and I'd done it to both liners. D'oh! So instead of sewing and making lots of progress today, I got to rip out 16 feet of hem featuring black thread on black fabric. Talk about painful. Jeff came down to the dungeon (that's what we call our basement) to help and provide support. He ripped a couple of feet for me, and ironed out all of my carefully pressed creases from the now undone hems. I decided to step away from the project and resume it again tomorrow. I spent the rest of the afternoon moseying around Target and going to the gym. I found several excellent deals on items for our Operation Christmas Child boxes during my wanderings, so that made me feel better (17 cent boxes of crayons, anyone?). Hopefully I'll get the linings re-hemmed on the proper side tomorrow afternoon, and then perhaps the big joining of the panels will proceed as planned next weekend.

3 comments:

Margie said...

That sounds like something that I have done in the past, Michelle. If I had to sew I actually got a knot in my chest because I was always doing something that had to be ripped out!

Jackie said...

that's why i don't sew. i admire you for taking on such a project and hope we get to see the finished project sans anymore disasters for you. at least it was reparable...

Charles and Rebecca said...

Thankfully Rebecca is the one who has the sewing skills other wise our neighbors would know me much more than they probably care too! I hope you don't get too discouraged I'm sure there will be great satisfaction in the completed project!
C.