Monday, February 4, 2008

A moderate deluge in the kitchen

Saturday was a bit of a disaster, in an overexaggerated sense of the word. We didn’t have any big plans for the day other than to watch the KU/Colorado basketball game. We started out with a leisurely biscuits and gravy breakfast, and then puttered around the house in the morning. I was quite convinced that the game was on at 7pm, and this was reinforced when my brother-in-law, Matthew, called around lunchtime to invite us to come over for dinner and watch the game at his house. We agreed to that, and decided to head over to the mall after lunch to look for some new pants for Jeff.

We took our sweet time at the mall, found some pants, spotted but couldn’t quite catch up with my mom’s pastor’s kids, and puttered back towards home by way of Barnes and Noble. We arrived home to a steady drip-drip-drip of water running down one of our pendant lights in the kitchen, with two nice wet spots in the drywall in the ceiling next to it. Uh oh.

Our attic access is located in our garage, about 14 feet above our concrete garage floor, which is always a bit of a nervewracking climb. I called Matthew to let him know that we had to go into emergency home repair mode instead of joining him for dinner, and Jeff started sizing the ladder to get up into the attic. Matthew let me know that the basketball game was already on, and was nearly over. D’oh!

I eventually got up into the attic with Jeff. The leak turned out to be from snow that had blown in through our roof vents on Thursday. Apparently the snow was blowing horizontally enough to get under the sides of the vents, because we had little piles of snow under two or three of them. Jeff dug through the insulation (we have the fluffy cotton blow in kind) and started collecting fluffy cotton snowballs in a bucket that I brought up. It took a while to check all the vents, but we eventually got all the snow picked up and the already melted snow mopped up with towels. By Sunday, the drywall in the ceiling was back to looking normal, so we’re thankful we didn’t have any visible damage. We’ll be going back up to the attic sometime soon to rig up some sort of moisture collection system so this doesn’t happen again.

As for that game... I keep a KU basketball game schedule at my desk at work, and after each game, I write a little W or L next to it depending on if we win or lose. Well, last Wednesday, we lost for the first time this season. I didn’t mark it with a little L because I was in denial… and when I glanced at the list last Friday to see when the next game was, I saw 7pm on ESPN-Plus, instead of 2:30 on ABC, because my L’s and W’s weren’t up to date. Hmmph. I have learned my lesson. Happily, we won Saturday, so my little L is bracketed by two big W’s, and it’s not so sad anymore.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

ah, the joys of owning a home...