Thursday, July 17, 2008

What's in your fridge?

I have accepted Emily's "What's in your fridge?" challenge. The rules are simple, open your fridge, don't touch anything, take a picture, and post. So, here's ours:


I think my favorite part of our fridge right now is that one Rubbermaid storage container that seems to be just nonchalantly tossed in the back of the fridge. We're clearly so very casual about our food storage here at the House of Boy and Girl.

This is pretty much what it looks like most of the time. Milk, water and random drink items (happens to be root beer today) on the top shelf, breads and whatever else lands there on the second shelf, leftovers and lunch items on the third shelf, beer and dog food and more random leftovers (I think that's a partially used onion) on the fourth shelf. Then a drawer full of lunch meats and cheeses, followed by a drawer full of short term veggies and fresh herbs, and finally a drawer full of long term veggies and fruit. The fridge door holds Jeff's pickle and mustard collection on the top shelf (who knew that one boy needed four types of pickles and four types of mustard for daily sandwich making?), our olives and Asian condiments on the second shelf, jams and very old sauces that I should probably throw away on the third shelf (ooh, and pickled ginger, which I am soooo addicted to), and tall condiments and salad dressings on the bottom shelf. It's weird to look at your fridge contents in a picture - you see all kinds of things in there you forgot you had!

On the freezer side, we have a lovely box of el-cheapo brand popsicles for summer refreshment, some frozen stock leftover from making corned beef at least a year ago (we thought we might turn it into a nice sauce someday, but that day never came), then the shelf of death, which is currently featuring bacon and frozen pizzas, then a shelf of hamburger and a blue ice that one of our houseguests accidentally left behind last time they visited, then the pork chop drawer, and finally the over stuffed frozen chicken parts drawer (we stocked up on those this week). In the door we have blue ice that does actually belong to us, some form of frozen potato item, lots of frozen veggies for use when we are too lazy to make fresh ones for dinner, our butter stock, overflow chickens, and finally the hot dog/sausages and parmigiano reggiano shelf! If you've actually read all of this, I'm shocked. I had fun writing it, though, and that's all that really matters!

I will issue another challenge - show Emily your fridge, and then show ME your pantry! If anyone actually does, I promise I'll post a picture of ours...

4 comments:

Jackie said...

oh dear...not sure i'm willing to take on either of those challenges. (maybe i'll do a little cleaning first :)

Charles and Rebecca said...

Do I get anything special if I sneak into Luke and Jackie's and take the pictures and post them :)??????

Jeff and Michelle said...

I'm sure we could arrange a prize for such behavior...

Kansas said...

I'm with Jackie on this one... gonna have to pass on this challenge!! But I'm glad to know you guys are human and that you don't cook those mouth-watering, gourmet meals every night!! I would have never guessed Totino's would have a spot in your freezer!!! LOL!!!