Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Movies and languages

We watched "Mr. Bean's Holiday" last night. Jeff's always been a fan of Mr. Bean, and he introduced me to the Mr. Bean shorts sometime after we moved to Wichita. I think the character is amusing, and I enjoy watching Rowan Atkinson act him. We weren't expecting much from the movie, but it turned out to be pretty good. The story was decent, the other actors were good, and the scenery (shot mostly in France) was absolutely beautiful. They really put some work into some of their cinematography. It made me yearn to vacation in France next summer, which, as you'll read below, is no longer the plan. If you want some mindless humor that's safe for the kiddos, check the movie out.

I don't know if you remember a post I wrote a few months ago about learning French? Well, I've kind of put that off, because we decided our next big overseas trip would probably be to Austria and eastern/central Switzerland, not France. I want to see some palaces with the fountains turned on and I want to hike the Alps in the summer. So, I should be learning to speak more German, not French. Of course, the more I learn of each language, the more flustered I get when trying to come up with the right word in the right language at the right time. Anyway, I was planning to go next summer, but I've kind of been waiting to see if the dollar would quit declining relative to the Euro before I firm up those plans. It's kind of looking like we'll put it off until 2009, when, most likely, the dollar will be even worse off compared to the Euro. Hmm, perhaps I'll reconsider those plans, yet again!

1 comment:

Jackie said...

hmmm. i just never have to worry about things like that...maybe i'm glad i can't travel out of the country :)