Saturday, September 20, 2008

I'm so 80s

Today was our fall session of our church's semi-annual Serve and Celebrate community service. We were actually scheduled to do projects all over the city last Saturday, but only half of the projects got to happen that day because of all the rain we received and all of the flooding around town. So, quite a few were rescheduled for today, which turned out to be a great day for it. We had about 800 volunteers working this time, and another local church joined with us this time as a way to celebrate their 100th anniversary.

We spent the morning working on painting a house. I didn't get any pictures of us doing the job because we were pretty busy the whole time. Jeff and I started with a decorative iron grape vine themed support (very appropriate given our beverage tastes), then I moved on to a lamp post while Jeff started working on gutters. I joined in on the lower gutters while he continued to work his way around the house. Everything took at least two, and sometimes three coats of paint. We had about 15 people total working on the house this morning, and there will be more showing up to finish the job this afternoon. I think we probably could have lasted longer on the job, but my lovely brother, Nathan, is planning to stop by for a visit this afternoon. I also managed to bruise my backside rather severely earlier this week at our church picnic (hamburger grease + linoleum = butt hitting the floor), so I was ready to call it a day after completing the morning shift.

On the drive home, I noticed how very 80s my outfit today was. Fluorescent yellow shirt (all the volunteers have these), tapered to the ankle jeans, and artfully paint splattered sneakers. Totally rad!




2 comments:

Kansas said...

Look at you, hot stuff!!! You totally should have pinch-rolled your jeans, even if that was early 90's!!! LOL!!!

Anonymous said...

What's pinch-rolling?