Tuesday, September 2, 2008

They're done!!!!!!!

The curtains are finally done!!!! I'm so relieved to get that over with. I had yet another setback on Saturday when I discovered that my horizontal stripe wasn't exactly where I was expecting it to be. I threw a bit of a tantrum and tossed some fabric about rather violently, but eventually got over it, and with Jeff's help, decided that the current location of the stripe wasn't so dreadful. Anyway, I spent many hours on Sunday and Monday finishing them, and finally got them hung up at about 9 pm Monday night. We did very much enjoy the near total blackness of the lining last night. Yes, they're a bit wrinkly, I know. I actually ironed them in the basement, but they're so huge that I had to wad them up a bit to get them upstairs and hung up on the rod, and by the time I finished that task, the wrinkles were back. Perhaps I'll get out my steamer and blast them sometime. We still need to tweak the rod into its final resting place, and then the project will be complete! The only thing left to do in our bedroom now is get a sheet for the bed that matches (I'm thinking... white, LOL), and the entire room will be fully decorated. Yay!



Lessons learned:
1. Make panels that are smaller in at least one dimension than the work surface you plan to work on. They were sliding off my huge table in all directions. It was quite difficult to find a spot in our house with a large enough flat surface to lay the panel out flat. Furniture moving was involved.
2. Don't buy so much thread. I bought 3 spools, I used approximately 1/2 spool.
3. Don't expect to remember a number you measured three weeks ago. Write it down. With diagrams. (Hence the mislocated stripe.) Actually, to be fair, I remembered the number accurately, I just didn't remember to apply it twice!

4 comments:

Chuck said...

Very nice! I remember when Rebecca finished our bedroom - very peaceful - PS. the stripe looks great and if anyone asks tell them thats exactly where you planned for it to go - I promise I won't tell!

Kansas said...

They look fabulous!! All the blood, sweat, and tantrums were well worth it!! LOL!!

Jackie said...

ooh, they look great! well done!

Anonymous said...

The curtains look just fine. Good contemporary design to go with your house, I like 'em.