Tuesday, September 23, 2008

New Plates, New Plates!

Alright, so I admit that I may be a little overexcited about my new dinnerware, but take a look at them, they're soooooo gorgeous!!!

Why yes, they are all different!

We've been eating off some el-cheapo IKEA plates for the last three years, and they're starting to look a bit gross. Icky silverware marks are appearing all over them and they have starting developing many chips on the corners. Since we only invested a grand total of somewhere between $36 and $48 (we can't quite remember if each piece was 50 cents or $1) on the 12 dinner plates, 18 cereal bowls, and 18 salad plates, we didn't feel too bad about replacing them with something better. Perhaps some Craigslist reading college student will give them a new home.

So appetizing... not

We've been seeking new dinnerware for a few months now, and I came across these funky plates a couple of months ago. We both decided they were totally impractical and that they'd never fit in the dishwasher for day-to-day use, but I left them on my spreadsheet. Oh yes, you'd better believe there's a dinnerware spreadsheet, people! We make spreadsheets for all of our major purchases, because we're nerds like that. Anyway, my heart gave a little flutter every time I looked at the picture of them, and I finally decided we should just get them and then we could use them for decorations on our normally rather dull looking dining room table, and then once in a while, we'd make a nice dinner at home and use them for that. We'll probably get them out for little tiny dinner parties, too. I only got the six place settings. I'm still seeking some cool chargers or placemats to put under them, as well as a centerpiece that will coordinate, but those can wait for another day. We're also missing a couple of pieces that didn't make it into the shipping box, so hopefully we'll get that straightened out soon. There are actually four pieces in each of the six patterns, but they look nicer with three stacked than with four.



We've pretty much settled on another pattern to buy for our new daily use dinnerware, but I'm not nearly as excited about those. They're cool, but more plainly shaped for ease of installation in the dishwasher. We'll get around to ordering those pretty soon, but don't hold your breath for a post on them. :)

5 comments:

Chuck said...

I must admit I'm jealous (im trying not to covet) of your new dinner set. I have often dreamed about making a mix/match set of dinnerwear but with 2 kids and the amount of use it has been put on the back burner for when it's just Rebecca and I. Congrats and one again Very Nice!

Jeff and Michelle said...

That's ok - I think your tree stand is pretty cool, too. We don't even have trees that are tall enough to support a ladder yet. :)

Kansas said...

Very cool! And they look awesome with your table and groovy chairs! Money well spent in my book!! :-)

Meliss said...

those are the coolest! who cares that they're impractical...

Anonymous said...

The dishes are wonderful and everything will taste better when you use them. (Oops,your cooking is excellent, didn't mean that the way it came out) Life is short enjoy them now. By the way, Santa wants to know if there are cups or mugs to match.