Thursday, November 8, 2007

Bummer of a day

Today wasn't the funnest. I was feeling kind of under the weather all day, nothing was going right for anyone at work today, and we were all a bit run down. We closed the sale of my mom's house today, so I started feeling this sense of loss of my childhood home, and was reminded that I'd never again spend time with my family or with my mom there. Then on the way home from work, I got stuck behind a series of blue Honda CR-Vs, which is the car my mom drove. Finally, when I got home and went to get the mail, I realized that the registered mail package that Jeff had stopped to get at the post office on the way home was most likely my mother's ashes being returned from KU Med. So, I had a nice big cry while I waited for him to get home.

I am really happy that everything went smoothly with the sale of the house, but it still kind of sucks to see it go. We actually got a full price offer on the house less than 24 hours after we put it on the market. It's going to a young couple from Hays. Our realtor was awesome (she was our neighbor when we were kids), and my aunt and uncle handled all the paperwork and negotiation during the selling process.

So now it's all over and done. There's nothing left to do but help my siblings figure out their taxes next year. I'm relieved that all my tasks are done, but now there's nothing to hide behind or to keep busy with to push the grieving process away. I guess the next thing to do is figure out what to do with mom's ashes.
She didn't have any specific requests for what we do with them. I'm thinking we'll gather together and scatter them at her church with friends and family in Hays. It's where she spent most of her time and energy outside our home.

Sorry for the morose post, but it can't all be food and puppies and Islamic Jihad... haha. :)

2 comments:

Jackie said...

i'm sorry for your bummer day. don't know what else to say but that i wish i could be a shoulder to cry on when you have days like that...thank goodness for the internet.

Margie said...

Michelle,

As I read your post I cried too. It's nothing like missing a mother but I miss my remarkable friend.

Margie H.