Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanksgiving at the Grandparents'

We spent a relaxing Thanksgiving holiday at my grandparent’s house in Manhattan this year. I would really have rather stayed home for a holiday with just Jeff and the pups, but my grandparents had been expressing a desire to see their grandkids for Thanksgiving for some time, and as my sister and brothers already had plans, it fell to us to go see them. (I’m sure you’re all familiar with these command performances.) We drove up on Thursday morning, and about an hour and a half into the drive, Fang started to pant and tremble. I couldn’t figure out what was wrong with him, so we rolled the windows down to try and cool him off a bit, and I held him for a while to soothe him, but he didn’t seem to get any better. We finally figured out what was wrong when he peed all over his pillow in the back seat of my car. Poor little guy. I still don’t know what was wrong because he’s ridden for three hours at a time many times before. We pulled over in the middle of nowhere with 30 degree temps and a Kansas wind to clean everything up and Errol managed to pick up a bunch of stickers in his fur while playing at the side of the road. I was plucking them off him the rest of the drive. Sigh. We finally arrived at my grandparent’s house and settled in for a nice lunch of spaghetti. We spent the afternoon chatting and playing the piano and playing Scrabble while dinner cooked (prime rib roast, yum!). We watched The Incredibles on television after dinner, which I think is a fun movie. It turned out to be a pretty nice day. We spent Friday there, too, (out for a big breakfast, more piano, more Scrabble, a walk for the dogs, wine hunting in Manhattan (a total disaster) and even more cooking and eating) and then came back home Saturday morning. We got a couple inches of snow overnight Friday, and woke up to a pretty winter scene. It melted off the roads pretty quickly, so there was no trouble driving back home.

1 comment:

Margie said...

Looking at the side view of your grandmother, I thought I was looking at your mother! I wish I was.

Margie